The project, called 99DOTS, uses mobile phones to monitor and improve adherence to tuberculosis medications. Using a toll-free call, tuberculosis patients can report that they are taking medication throughout their treatment course. Missed doses lead to notifications and alerts, and trigger counseling by care providers. In addition to the Gates Foundation, 99DOTS is supported by USAID, IKP, and other partners. There are more details provided at http://99dots.org.
Today, every TB-HIV co-infected patient in the public sector is being monitored by 99DOTS, alongside every publicly-treated adult drug-sensitive TB patient diagnosed in Mumbai leading to nearly 200 new patient registrations per day.
As part of our phase three scale up, every publicly-treated TB patient across 5 states will use 99DOTS to register their adherence (Maharashtra, Bihar, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, and Sikkim). To implement the solution, on-the-ground healthcare staff need to diagnose, register, and counsel patients at treatment initiation; during their treatment, healthcare staff need to respond to potential defaulting patients.
Launching across five states in July, this task requires significant outreach and consultation with the staff to initiate uptake of the project, and afterward in support of expansion and sustainability from our team. There are also frequent opportunities to expand, adapt, and tweak the model based on varying environments and opportunities.
As an associate consultant, we are seeking professionals who can work alongside our consultant team to ensure local staff are properly trained and using the system. This role will be mostly office-based, monitoring our online dashboard to see which sites have patients with missing doses, and reaching out by phone to understand any problems they may be facing and seek to resolve them. Each phone call will
last just a few minutes, and will draw upon general treatment guidelines that we provide.
The role will also involve travel to sites to give trainings, demonstrate the system, and answer queries, so applicants must be available to travel often.
Overall, the role will be to initiate and maintain strong relationships with diverse array of stakeholders, spanning various levels of government officials, and may extend to private doctors and chemists to ensure the successful uptake of the innovation. Interactions will primarily be with healthcare staff and not patients, though patient uptake and use is the ultimate goal of 99DOTS.
The associate consultant will be a core part of our scale-up team and will have the opportunity to offer strategic guidance on how to improve the effectiveness of our program.
Qualifications for this role:
• Ability to engage with a diverse array of healthcare staff from various regions and backgrounds working in Tuberculosis and HIV, via phone counseling sessions and in person meetings.
• Preferably working or having past work experience in organization working in the public heath case space in the North India belt (Delhi, Bihar, UP, etc.).
• Preferably a Graduate or Post-Graduate degree in social development studies (such as Social Work, Rural Development, Public Health, etc.) with 1-3 years of relevant experience.
• Effective communication skills. Strong command in Hindi and other north Indian languages is a must.
• Working knowledge of MS Office tools.
• Experience or interest in building training materials and delivering the same to end users.
• Basic data/report analysis to identify action points or improvement areas and work with the stakeholders to achieve it.
• Flexible in adapting to fast changing requirement.
• Willingness to take on additional secondary administrative responsibility on adhoc basis.
• Full-time role including in-office work and partner visits on-site. Locations of travel dependent on language skills and high-priority regions for the project.
• Work as part of team with the common goal of using 99DOTS to enable and empower local health systems to treat Tuberculosis patients.
• Work will be based out of our office located in central Bangalore. Associate consultants will be expected to report here Monday through Friday, whenever they are not traveling.
Commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should write to email@example.com with a subject line: “Application to 99DOTS Associate Consultant” with attention Vineet Nair, to describe their qualifications and interest in the role, with CV attached.
Positions is to be filled immediately.